Friday, April 29, 2011

Dinner and a Movie (minus the movie)

Originally, this blog was supposed to be a review of a new movie and a new local restaurant. However, we haven't had a functional theatre since before Valentine's Day, and I didn't think anyone would want to read about the latest Redbox rental (Salt on blu-ray that ended-up costing us $40 b/c the hubby forgot to return it!).


The family and I decided to try-out Woodward's newest hot spot this evening, Endzone Grill. Located next to White Dental Clinic in the old Budigley's building, EG is a traditional sports grill with loads of atmosphere and a promising future. It is run by former Mazzio's manager, Dustin Iliff, who is a friendly, charismatic fellow who really seems to enjoy the restaurant business and has a warm, welcoming personality. Iliff is quick to produce a refill, change a channel, clean a table, take an order, or -most importantly- sit and chat with his customers. Making the diners feel important is a huge factor in a restaurant's success, and it is a talent that Iliff demonstrates with ease.

Despite the overflowing parking area, we were quickly seated in a cozy booth in "KD's Corner" (Kevin Durant for you non-Thunder lovers). Within just a few moments, our drinks appeared, and a friendly waitress was available to take our order. I ordered the club sandwich w/fries, Clint requested the cheeseburger w/fries, and the boys selected the chicken tenders dinner with sides of fries and mac & cheese. I was surprised to not see a children's menu, but the boys are always happy to share an adult meal, if I can get them to agree on the entree!

We waited slightly longer than what I'd consider "usual" for our food, but that is typical with a new restaurant, and refills were offered frequently. It also gave us a chance to have some family time and conversation with the kids, which was nice - when Dylan wasn't too busy texting his girlfriend. When it did arrive, the food was pretty good, and for the most part, we were very happy. The mac & cheese we ordered for our ten year-old was served with small chunks of peppers, which would be fabulous for an adult, but not great for a picky pre-teen. To his credit, Dylan did try a few bites of the unusual dish, but eventually turned-up his nose and opted to nibble on our fries instead. Had I known it was not "traditional" mac & cheese, I never would have ordered it for him, but would have chosen fries or fried okra instead. Incidentally, I tried the spicy m&c, and thought it was divine! :)

Overall, we were fairly impressed and so very glad to be somewhere new! There were a few "new restaurant" mistakes, but nothing that would keep me from going back. Iliff employs a new, fairly inexperienced wait staff, but they are bright young ladies (I should know - they use to be my students!), who will catch-on quickly and improve their service tremendously in just the next couple of weeks. I found out once we got home that they DO have a children's menu, but it was never offered to us...freshman mistake, ladies!

The menu is not vast, but EG offers appetizers, salads, sandwiches, burgers, and a handful of entrees. I can't report what is included on the children's menu or the beer menu, because neither were presented to us. I was a little shocked that our bill added-up to $40 for three dinners (only one of which was an entree), three drinks, and two domestic beers. Forty dollars at other nearby restaurants would have purchased a couple of steak dinners with appetizers or salad/salad bar, and a couple of kids' meals, but Woodward is starving for new, refreshing, non-ethnic food options, and that is exactly what you'll get at Endzone Grill!

I fully expect Iliff's operation to be extremely successful. With his experience in the restaurant industry, Dustin will work out the kinks quickly and earn a multitude of loyal customers. I can already imagine the place jam-packed the next couple of weeks during Thunder games, and I am going to predict a plethora of football watch parties! Monday Night Football (if the NFL can get their butt in gear!) will keep Endzone Grill very busy, and I can definitely picture myself cozied-up to the big screen, dining on cheese fries and watching my beloved Yankees winning the next World Series!

Stop by the Endzone Grill and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Woodward has a restaurant now! I should really move back...

    ReplyDelete