Sunday, February 13, 2011

To blog or not to blog...

For the past few months, I've been considering starting a blog. I have several friends who are quite successful bloggers, and I thoroughly enjoy reading through their posts from time to time. I sometimes find myself secretly "blogging in my head," narrating my life and experiences much like Carrie Bradshaw of Sex and the City (although my day-to-day experiences aren't nearly as glamorous as those of a single, uber-successful Manhattan columnist and her pack of wealthy gal pals). Why not actually put the words down in print for all to enjoy, right??..

This is exactly the question I am asking myself right now as I struggle to type out the first few lines of my newest "thing." What exactly is a blog? Should I be limited to one specific topic in blog? Is there any topic I am passionate enough about to write about it on a weekly basis, and is there anyone in the world who would even care to read it?

As previously noted, I do read the blogs of several friends, and I really enjoy them. However, I have found that most of these blogs really aren't about one specific topic or idea, but rather are more of an online journal of their lives. They write about their families, books, movies, politics, vacations, and the things that happen in their own little worlds.

Is that really what a blog is supposed to be, and if it is, how can my life possibly be interesting enough for another human being to want to know about it? I also find myself wondering if I really want people to know about my life. Can I really put myself out there in print, completely unexposed and uncensored? Is that "ok"?

Lets face it, as a public school teacher, I am constantly in the public eye. Everything I write, say, and suggest is scrutinized, criticized, discussed, and twisted to the point of being unrecognizable. I've recently discovered that even innocuous postings on Facebook about school closings can turn into a six e-mail scolding by my building principal. There are those who would suggest that I write strictly about "safe" topics - those that can in no way be misinterpreted or misunderstood, those that are shiny and pretty with bubbles and unicorns and Mary Poppins flying around with her adorable umbrella and her fruit-covered hats (pardon me while I puke up a furball). But, if I am not going to write about topics that mean something, and if I'm not going to address real issues and give my naked, honest opinion, why should I even bother to write??

So, I am back to Hamlet's age-old question (slightly altered for the 21st century). To blog or not to blog...

This is my question, but what is the answer?

2 comments:

  1. I feel the exact same things as you and have considered the same questions. I hope you will be posting often because I, for one, look forward to reading what you have to say. Definitely BLOG! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola!

    Had no idea you started this! YES, you should blog. Find your niche, an overarching theme and GO FOR IT.

    For me, it's all about books, writing, and yummy dessert--the important stuff, right?

    The question is: what's important to you? What do YOU want to scribble about? :)

    ReplyDelete