Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Splendor Falls

Only a week into the summer, and I've already devoured two books - go me! The first was The Peach Keeper (review will be posted after our book club discussion on June 14th), the other was The Splendor Falls by Rosemary Clement-Moore (528 pages).

The Splendor Falls is the story of Sylvie Davis, an up and coming prima ballerina who suffers a career-ending injury at the age of 17. Unable to cope with the loss of her ability to dance, her mother's new marriage, and her father's recent death, Sylvie begins to fall apart. Her therapy? Spending the summer in Alabama with her father's cousin on plantation that would make Scarlett O'Hara salivate!

Arriving in the deep south armed with her lap dog, Gigi, and an arsenal of attitude, Sylvie quickly realizes that things at the family estate aren't what they appear to be - mysterious family gardens, cryptic journals from ancestors long-passed, apparitions in the mist, and terrifying wailing sounds emanating from the woods in the back. Add to this mix not one, but two ominously charming young men vying for her attention (one very Heathcliff, the other a little more Prince Charming), and you have a great summer read!

This is the first book I've read by this particular author, and I must say I was quite impressed. Her lavish descriptions of  the plantation home and the south in general are remarkable, and she is a master at giving her characters voice, charisma, and believablitly.

"I was the opposite, a cut flower with no roots, no longer attached to the nourishing soil. Melodramatic, yes. But that's how I felt not being able to dance."

I've complained a lot lately about the overwhelming push of supernatural tales in YA fiction, but I found myself consumed with the ghostly visions and magical atmosphere of  BlueStone Hill and Sylvie's quest to discover her families secrets. After I read the book, I went back and read Tennyson's poem by the same name, and although the author doesn't specify any connection between the two, I don't think it's just coincidence that Rhys constantly refers to Sylvie as "princess." There were other links as well, but I'll leave you to decide for yourself!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I so glad you liked this one! RCM is one my favorite friends on the planet, and her writing is just. so. lush.

    Look out for latest book, TEXAS GOTHIC, coming out next month. It's her best yet. (And don't forget to thumb over to the acknowledgments page. It may be the only time my name is in print, hehe.)

    ReplyDelete