Friday, March 25, 2011

A Rock and a Hard Place

The month of March is flying by far more quickly than I had expected. I've lost interest in the NCAA Tournament bracket and have started looking forward (with much excitement) to opening day for the Yankees and for my kiddos' soccer season to start.

I've also noted that there are only 40 days of school left...38 if you count the two I'm taking-off to go see Lady Gaga in Tulsa, but who's counting??

I cannot wait for summer.

I adore summer not only because it's a much-needed break from the insanity they call middle school, but also because I get a chance to catch-up on my reading, lie by the pool, spend quality time with my boys, attend countless baseball games, travel with the family,go camping and jet-skiing, and keep-up with the multiple summer camps that the kiddos attend.

Wait, I thought this was supposed to be summer "vacation"?

Until these next 40 days come to an end, I will be spending the last few weeks with my middle school kids, enjoying them before they take that giant leap into high school and the teenage angst that accompanies such leap. We are a little behind schedule right now - we'll start reading The Outsiders on Monday. State testing will take place in April, and we'll finish-off the year with our Holocaust cross-curriculum unit.

I probably forgot to mention it before, but a few weeks ago I took my g/t class to see a presentation by Aaron Ralston. If you've managed to miss his story, you should really rent the movie 127 Hours to learn a little about him. I will say this - hearing his story first hand was much, much more interesting and gut-wrenching than watching the film. Although his accident happened in 2003, Ralston still speaks of it with extreme emotion and intensity that Hollywood simply wasn't able to capture.

His presentation was held in Weatherford, and since we live in the armpit of Oklahoma, we had to drive over an hour to see him. For most people, this wouldn't be a problem, but for a girl who can barely see at night and has no idea how to get to Weatherford, it was slightly tricky. (FYI-I only got lost once, and we got out of that by doing a little clever cross-country driving through rocks and mud. No big deal.) Keep in mind, this was with a vehicle full of middle school students...

After the presentation, Ralston took time to visit with the audience and to sign books. He was kind enough to sign our books, visit with us briefly, and take a few snapshots with the group. I was very impressed with his emmaculate handwriting (with his remaining left hand), and his friendly nature.
This was definitely a highlight of my school year, and I know the kids will remember it for a long time. Driving home, we talked a lot about Aaron's experience, and discussed points in our lives when we'd been in difficult situations. It's times like these when I am reminded why I became a teacher, and why I specifically chose middle school. The kids are amazing. In their early teen years, they still have an endearing innocence that seems to vanish in the next few years. They are highly curious, moldable, and have a positive outlook on life. They are much more experienced in tragedy and turmoil than I was at their age, but they look forward to each day with an eagerness that captures my heart. They drive me crazy, but I can't imagine my life without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment